Last Updated on
One of the most exciting (or possibly stressful) parts of pregnancy is creating your baby’s nursery. What color? What kind of drapes? What theme? Gender neutral or bold? There are endless possibilities, and most parents have NO idea where to start! When we first started planning for our baby’s nursery, we were totally perplexed because after looking through Pinterest, we had a million different ideas and wanted to incorporate everything!
Possibly the biggest factor in what will decide your room is if you are deciding to find out the gender of your baby, or if you are waiting for a surprise. This decides if you want to use a bold color, like pinks, purples or blues, or something soft and neutral, like yellows and greens. (In our case we found out we were having a girl and still did a bright Oasis blue so you do you!)
This post contains affiliate links.
Once you decide what kind of color scheme you want, it’s time for a theme. Here is a list to get you started!
- Travel (that is what we did for our nursery!)
- Toy Story
- Cinderella/Snow White/other princess themes
- The Little Mermaid/under the sea
- No theme/solid colors
- Fluffy animals
- Exotic animals
- Noah’s ark
- Stripes and polka dots
- Video games
- Sea animals
- Star Wars
- DC comics
- Ratchet and Clank
- Night time/Starry Night
- Black and white
We had a blast doing our nursery! For our travel theme, my husband actually hand-painted a giant map in white on her Oasis blue walls. We brought it all together with white and blue drapes, and white furniture and a cream colored rug. We accented with exotic animal sheets and a stencil of biplanes. It looks awesome!
How to create a baby nursery on a budget
Creating a nursery on a budget is totally doable! Consider some ways you can save money when creating your baby nursery.
Ways to save:
- Look for second-hand furniture. Obviously, ensure any cribs meet safety criteria, but getting cribs, change tables, and shelves second hand can drastically reduce cost.
- Watch for paint sales. So often you can get a 2 for 1 deal or even save the tax!
- Make your own furniture. You can create super cute things for half the price, like this adorable baby gate.
- Skip the brands. Sure, you can get a high-end rug for $400. We got ours at Walmart for $29.99 though.
- Make your own decor. Pinterest is full of different ideas to make your own decor, like this baby mobile.
- Less is more. Your baby is going to grow like a weed, and their interests will develop and change over time. So don’t fret if you don’t have every minute detail down. Instead of stuffing your nursery full of things, keep it simple.
- Repurpose other things you already have in your house. We grabbed one of two bookshelves in our living room and painted it to go into her room.
- Poke through yard sales. You would be surprised how much you can find there that can go right in your nursery or be repurposed.
- Instead of big pictures, opt for sticker stencils. It can end up being a little cheaper.
- Make your items work for multiple purposes. Is the dresser you have low enough to put a change table pad on top?
What kind of themes do you have picked out for your nursery? Comment below! What kind of things did you do to cut cost? Comment below!